Save-A-Pet Foster Program
The Foster Care Program enables Save-A-Pet to meet the special needs of our most vulnerable animals. Animals that are terminally ill, pregnant, very young, or recovering from a medical procedure are examples of the types of situations where we would look for a foster placement. Save-A-Pet retains ownership of the animals in the Foster Program and will cover the cost for all of the animal’s approved medical care
There are two types of Fosters in the Save-A-Pet Foster Program:
Temporary Foster Homes Needs:
- Orphaned puppies and kittens too young for adoption
- Nursing or pregnant mothers of puppies and kittens
- Animals recovering from an injury, illness, or surgery
- Dogs and cats that need extra socialization or training
- Dogs or cats that need temporary housing due to space constraints
Permanent Foster Homes Needs:
- Dogs and cats that have medical special needs
- Dogs and cats that have behavioral special needs
- Senior animals that do not thrive in the shelter environment
- Animals that have a terminal illness and need the special love of a foster family
How do you become a licensed Save-A-Pet Foster Home?
If you are interested in becoming a Save-A-Pet Foster, you will need to complete a foster/adoption application (see links below-foster application is the same as adoption application). Once reviewed and approved, a $25.00 fee is required for your license through the Illinois Department of Agriculture. You will then be all set to work with our foster coordinator and welcome one of our residents as a foster.
Foster applications can be e-mailed to email@example.com, faxed to 847-740-7886, or brought in person to the shelter. Review and approval time will depend on staff availability but can generally be done within 24 hours.
What happens if a Foster Home decides to adopt the cat or dog in their care?
We are more than happy to adopt our cats and dogs to our Foster Homes. Please note that the process to adopt a foster animal is the same as a regular adoption.
Any and all questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.